[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.18.2″]
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 8, 2016
What Information Do We Collect About You and Why?
We may collect information about you directly, from our Chapters and other third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You. We may require or ask that you register with us or provide personal information to us, in order to access certain Services, such as to sign up to receive communications from us, access certain content on our website, or comment on our blogs. In these areas, we may ask you for your name and email address, as well as other optional information such as demographic information. We may administer questionnaires, surveys and other research tools and may ask that you provide certain information as part of your participation; you can always decline to participate in these.
Information We Collect Automatically. We may automatically collect the following information about your use of our Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, java script, log files and other technologies: your domain name; your browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit our Site and or use our Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Site. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries and requests, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
- For informational and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you.
- To better understand how users access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services, respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information, including personal information, as follows:
- Site Visitors. Any information you post to our Site, including, without blog comments, will be viewable on our Site.
- Girls in Tech Chapters. We may share your information with your local Girls in Tech chapter.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information with third parties.
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Site and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our Site. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
Clear GIFs. Clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, though, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages, not stored on your hard drive. We might use clear GIFs to track the activities of Site visitors and App users, help us manage content, and compile statistics about usage. We and our third party service providers also might use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Do-Not-Track. Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies).
Our Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
Communications From Us
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented security measures to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
IMPORTAN NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL USERS: International Transfers of Personal Data
Your information will be transferred to and maintained on computers located in the United States (or any other country where we, our affiliates, subsidiaries, agents and our service providers operate) and processed there. The United States and the other jurisdictions to which we transfer information may not have equivalent data protection laws as your home jurisdiction. By providing any information to us, or permitting us to collect information via the Services, you acknowledge and expressly consent to the transfer of such information to, and processing and storage of such information in the United States and any other jurisdiction in which we or our affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers or agents operate.
Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at http://girlsintech.org/privacy-policy/. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site, or by emailing your email address of record with us.